Mastopexy, more commonly known as a breast lift, is a procedure that is used to lift sagging breasts and improve their shape. Many women find that pregnancy, weight fluctuations, breastfeeding, and getting older can leave them with drooping breasts. During the procedure excess skin is removed and tissues are tightened to create a more youthful, appearing shape.
Who can benefit from mastopexy?
The following people may benefit from a breast lift:
- Those who feel that their breasts have changed as they’ve gotten older.
- People whose nipples fall below the crease of the breast or point downward.
- Women who are done having children—you can have a breast lift if you aren’t done having children, but future pregnancies are likely to take a toll on the breasts.
- Women who feel that their breasts have lost firmness or shape.
If you want to increase the size of your breasts, you may want to consider breast augmentation as an alternative since a breast lift alone will not give you larger breasts. If your goal is to increase your breast size and improve the shape and position of the breasts, you may want to ask about combining a breast lift and a breast augmentation.
Preparing For The Procedure
Before your procedure, you’ll have a consultation with the doctor where you’ll discuss specifics and receive individualized recommendations. In general, the following tips can help you prepare:
- Find pictures in order to show your doctor exactly what kind of results you’re looking for.
- Stop smoking at least two weeks before the surgery.
- Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum for two weeks before the surgery as well as the week following the procedure.
- Be completely honest and thorough when telling your doctor about any medications you are taking.
- Do not take any medications that act as blood thinners. Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and other medications that your doctor says to avoid.
- Drink plenty of water every day leading up to the surgery.
- Purchase a variety of comfortable sports bras so you’ll be prepared ahead of time.
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home after the surgery and schedule about a week off from work.
If you’d like to learn more about this procedure and explore your options, schedule a consultation at Ponte Vedra Plastic Surgery or give us a call at 904-273-6200.